(Notification) Graduate School Admissions (GS-2017) at Tata
Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)
The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is India's premier institution for
advanced research in fundamental sciences. The Institute runs a graduate
programme leading to the award of Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. as well as M.Sc.
degreee in certain subjects. With its distinguished faculty, world class
facilities and stimulating research environment, it is an ideal place for
aspiring scientists to initiate their career.
The Graduate Programme at TIFR is classified into the following Subjects -
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer & Systems Sciences (including
Communications and Applied Probability) and Science Education. It is conducted
at the Mumbai campus and various National Centres of TIFR.
For Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. programmes, the academic year starts from August 1,
every year. The academic year for M.Sc. programme begins from July 1, every
Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 25,000/- (enhanced to Rs
28,000/- after registration).
I-Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 16,000/- for the first
year. At the end of the first year, upon satisfactory performance, the
fellowship is enhanced to Rs 25,000/- per month (further raised to Rs 28,000/-
after registration for Ph.D.).
M.Sc. (Biology ) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 12000/-.
Accommodation is provided to Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. students only, at a nominal
- For Ph.D. : M.A./M.Sc./M.Tech.
- For I-Ph.D. : B.A./B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech. (Students already
having/completing an M.Sc. degree by July 2017 are not eligible).
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./M.S. in Physics, or equivalent, on completion of
programmes(s) of duration not less than 5 years in total.
- M.E./M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./ B.Tech./B.Chem. in Physics, Engineering
Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programme(s) of duration not
less than 3 years in total.
- Any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, on
completion of programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total.
- I-Ph.D. candidates with not less than four or more years of university
education who clear the written test may be considered by TCIS for their
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.Pharm.
- For I-Ph.D.: B.Sc./B.Pharm.
- Candidates with B.E./B.Tech degrees can optionally get an M.Sc. degree
by fulfilling necessary requirements.
For Ph.D.: Masters in Basic Science or Bachelors in Applied Science. These
include, M.Sc.(Ag.), B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 years course), MBBS,
BDS, M.Pharma. Candidates will be short-listed for interview based on written
test marks, CV and Scientific Writeup.
For I-Ph.D./M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science.
For Ph.D. Program in TCIS: M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
Computer & System Sciences (including Communications and Applied
For Ph.D. : B.E./B.Tech./M.E./M.Tech./M.C.A./M.Sc. degree holders in Computer
Science / Information Technology / Electronics & Communications Engineering /
Electrical Engineering. Exceptionally well qualified students with B.E./B.Tech./M.E./
M.Tech./M.Sc./B.Sc. or equivalent degrees in other disciplines may also be
Exceptionally well qualified students with B. Sc. degree in computer science
and related subjects may be considered for I-Phd.
Candidates not holding a Master's degree and admitted to a Ph.D./Int. Ph.D.
program can receive an M.Sc. degree in some subjects by fulfilling prescribed
http://www.tifr.res.in/~gsoffice for details).
The admissions procedure (in all subjects, except Science Education) consists
of a written test at one of the several nationwide centres, followed by
interviews of shortlisted candidates.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews to be held during
end-February to early-April, 2017. Exact dates would be announced later.
Results of the entrance examination will be announced on January 31, 2017 and
students shortlisted for interview will be intimated by email.
Subjects - Programs:
Mathematics (Ph.d. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programs)
- School of Mathematics, TIFR Mumbai - http://www.math.tifr.res.in
- Centre for Applicable Mathematics (CAM), Bengaluru -
- Internatonal Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS), Bengaluru - http://www.icts.res.in
(Only Ph.D. program).
Physics (Ph.d. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programs)
- Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Department of Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science
- Department of High Energy Physics
- Department of Nuclear & Atomic Physics
- Department of Theoretical Physics
- All above at TIFR, Mumbai Campus - http://www.tifr.res.in/~sbp
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune -
- TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad - (http://www.tifrh.res.in)
: Theoretical and experimental activities in physical, chemical, biological
and engineering sciences within and across disciplines.
International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (http://www.icts.res.in).
In addition to the admissions through this nationwide examination in
December, some admissions in Physics based on GATE / NET / JEST scores are also
possible. Details of these admission procedures will be available on the
websites of TIFR Mumbai, ICTS, TCIS and NCRA, separately at appropriate times.
Students applying for Physics also have the option to be considered for the
Graduate Training Programme (GTP) of the India-based Nueutrino Observatory (INO).
For more details on INO please see http://www.ino.tifr.res.in
The option can be indicated at the time of registration of application.
Chemistry (Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programs)
- Department of Chemical Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai -
- TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad - http://www.tifrh.res.in
Biology (Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. and M.Sc.)
- Department of Biological Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai -
- National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru
- TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad
Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communcations and Applied Probability)
- Ph.D. program
School of Technology & Computer Science (STCS), TIFR, Mumbai -
Science Education (Ph.D. Program)
Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE), Mumbai. For admission
procedure, see http://www.hbcse.tifr.res.in
TYPICAL COURSE DURATION:
- Ph.D. Program : 5 Years
- Integrated Ph.D. Program : 6 Years
- M.Sc. - See details in respective programme.
Application Fee (Non-Refundable):
- Male Candidates : Rs 600/- for online applications and Rs 650/- for
- Female Candidates : Rs 100/- for online and manual applications.
Application fee can be paid online through internet banking or by
Debit/Credit Card or by sending Demand Draft.
How to Apply:
Before you start filling up the complete application form make sure the
following are ready with you :
1. A scanned image/electronic copy of your Passport size photograph
(preferably a jpg file below 100kb in size). Applications with personal photos
or edited photos uploaded will be rejected.
2. Demand Draft details (DD number, Bank, etc.) or Credit / Debit Card details
for online payment of application fee.
3. Academic details.
- Nationwide Entrance Examination: Sunday, December 11, 2016
- Last date for application: OCTOBER 10, 2016
- Online payment link will be active upto October 17, 2016
- DDs sent by post/courier will be accepted upto October 17, 2016
- Hall Ticket download link will be active from : November 10, 2016
GATE Scored based applications to Systems Science (including Communications
and Applied Probability):
- Opens : February 3, 2017
- Closes : Two weeks after GATE2017 results declared.
Results of the Nationwide Entrance Examination (shortlist for interviews) :
January 31, 2017